In 1864, Franz Josef Bucher founded a sawmill business with master carpenter Joseph Durrer, which was expanded in 1868 into a parquet factory and mechanical joinery. In order to obtain work for the carpenters and parquet makers, in 1869 the company built the Hotel Sonnenberg in Engelberg, selling it at a profit.
Gifted with an intuitive understanding of the beauties of the Lake Lucerne region, Bucher scoured the area searching for a location to establish a hotel, finally landing on the then still unknown “Trittalp,” a meadow located on the ridge of the Bürgenberg. The Lucerne Corporation sold the Trittalp to the firm of Bucher and Durrer, who then renamed it the "Bürgenstock."
The Grand Hotel opened in 1873, although its name at the time was the Hotel Kurhaus, i.e. the “Spa Hotel.” From its very first days, it enjoyed high occupancies. To get a room in the Grand Hotel Bürgenstock, guests often had to wait two or three weeks in Lucerne.
The Bürgenstock Railway was opened: the first electric railway in Switzerland.
After establishing its own power station on the Engelberger Aa in Buochs, and constructing the Bürgenstock Railway in 1887/88, the Railway Station and Restaurant, as well as the Park Hotel, were built.
After the liquidation of the business Bucher & Durrer, Franz Josef Bucher-Durrer is the sole owner of the hotels and facilities.
Over time, the resort’s first two hotels, the Grand Hotel and the Park Hotel with their 340 beds, were less and less able to meet demand during the high season. So in 1903/04, the Palace Hotel was built, with 160. This brought the total number of beds to 500, not including the 200 beds for the resort’s employees.
On 6th October 1906, Franz Joseph Bucher, this prominent pioneer of the Swiss hotel industry, passed away. He left his sons a thriving, solid business. It was not until the drop in tourism caused by the war that the resort saw a decline in business. But by then, Bucher’s achievement had already contributed so much to the reputation of the Swiss hotel industry abroad – and the good name of the Swiss themselves.
The Bucher-Durrer concern was close to bankruptcy middle of the twenties. The Bürgenstock Resort must be sold too.
He is employed as counsel to the family of Arnold Bucher, takes over the banks’ participation in the company and thus prevents the Bürgenstock from ending up foreign-owned.
Additionally, in 1964 the whole movie crew spent a month at the Palace Hotel during the shooting of the James Bond movie Goldfinger starring Sean Connery.
Bearing this brand name are the new Bürgenstock Resort, the Hotel Royal Savoy in Lausanne and the Hotel Schweizerhof in Bern
- Planning work and approvals
- Infrastructure work with Energy center
- Panorama Residence Suites
- 4.3 km construction of streets